Sunday, June 03, 2007

Gems of thoughts..

Weekends sure fly by. Yesterday we found out how much money it will cost to repair our cars. We are trying to decide which choice will be best and how much to invest where, I sure wish I had a crystal ball. Whatever we do will make a dent in the vacation fund, but when I feel bad about that I think of all the years we couldn't even have managed to come up with money for car repairs. So for that I am thankful.
Today we went to a clothing exchange. I scored several pairs of summer weight pants and capris and a couple really pretty blouses. I am so used to bringing a ton of stuff and finding nothing that I felt truly guilty. The hostess was so generous and telling me they wont have another clothing exchange until fall and I should truly take whatever I could use. I felt bad that I didn't have some supersize clothing to exchange for the other women who showed up were pretty much where I am used to being. Bringing stuff a little too small and hoping to find things a little bit larger. I have decided when I do my Goodwill shopping if I find any of the hard to locate "super" sizes I will buy them if they are in good shape and I will have a good supply to bring to the fall exchange.
Part of the reason we went today was just to connect a little bit. Jay and Miriam who hosted the clothing exchange host the monthly dinners for the South end of the Seattle BBW group or whatever they call themselves these days (I am pretty out of the loop). I knew they have gone to the BBW Bash in Las Vegas and I had some questions about it as Bob and I are still mulling that over as a possibility for our vacation. It seems a little sad to me that our passports should show up sometime this month and we might travel to Las Vegas, but no doubt in the next few years we will find a way to make use of the passports. It was pleasant to visit with these folks I feel so friendless anymore, they are a bit younger than us but they have two well treated pug dogs and no kids and are generous and friendly to many people. I have given so much thought to reaching out more it is time for me to put up or shut up about it already. I am glad we went for more than just the new clothing. We even agreed to go to the next dinner which is next Sunday. I hope we have a good time. I have for so long felt like I didn't quite fit in the surgery support world OR the size acceptance world. But Jay and Myriam have lost a lot of weight the hard way, diet and exercise but managed to be very not judgemental about where anyone was at on the scale of life. Maybe we can back them up with a new meaning of "size acceptance" or maybe I am having a lot of wishful thinking..
Next stop was the gem and mineral show in Puyallup. This was another place I was thinking about looking to expand my social life. We have discovered that the members seem to be very nerdy and friendly and maybe we could enjoy some of their outings. We might try a meeting and see what we think. I loved the pretty rocks and gems that they had to show. But I know very very little about gems or minerals. Of course that gives me plenty to talk about with the rock geeks, I have a ton of questions. They have a hike next weekend but we aren't sure if we are fit enough to keep up. We might start with a meeting. It was hard to resist buying any of the beautiful jewelry that was for sale. I was strong. This time, there is another one later in the summer :) I caught this interest as a child when my Dad worked a rock quarry. We found many lovely agates and petrified wood and fossils. I don't remember a lot of what I knew but remember the thrill of finding something cool. Bob I think is just always up for anything that might be a good time. I worry he must resent me and my anti social ways. It takes some effort to find a gem, or gem of a friend.

No comments: