Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Meet-n-Greet Roseville CA


We recently hopped a flight to Sacramento to attend Geowoodstock the biggest gathering of geocachers to date. We were not totally sure what to expect so we went with an open mind and a Plan B to just leave and go caching if that felt more the thing.
Friday night we went to the Meet-n-Greet which is what they typically call any gathering of cachers which is listed on the website. I had somehow forgot to pack the paperwork telling us which park in the city of Roseville this was going to be held at. Luckily for us a new friend "Rocketglider" (I know people by their geocaching names but not always their REAL names) was on our same flight, then we ran in to him again in the car rental line, I told him our dilemma and he took the time to write down the coordinates for both events. What a nice guy! And our reliable Tom Tom drove us directly to the park for the Meet-n-Greet. I was my usual shy dork self. But they had a mixer game with a bingo card you filled by having people sign it if they qualified for whatever was in the space. Even though I was hesitant to ask people if they could sign mine lots were able to come and ask ME and I could reciprocate. We even had a little boy come over to our table and slowly and carefully (and proudly) insist on signing each of our cards. We could sign a couple of hard to find squares because we own a Magellan GPS and most geocachers are hard core Garmin people. Also we had traveled over 100 miles to attend or had cached in another state. We actually ran in to Rocketglider again and it was great to see a friend and start feeling like we know people. We eventually got a little bored and left to go find some local caches but many other people did too, some geochachers are literally obsessed (not us of course) we came back and enjoyed a terrific meal and were looking forward to the next day.

No comments: